•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher Initial run of launcher fails to backup, cannot update.

EDIT: SOLVED

Fix: After full installation, right click on the GameData folder, select properties. In the Properties window deselect "Read-only". Launch MBIILauncher, the error will happen once more but never again!

Thank you to Burich for the fix!

Original post:

Hey there,

I searched the forums and FAQ, but found nothing similar. I checked to make sure all service packs and .NET framework has been installed. I have rebooted, but nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Okay I think i've found the solution. Right click on JA/GameDate folder, go to Properties, then tick out the "write protected" label on the bottom. I don't have english Windows, so I don't know how is that called exactly, but here is a picture that may help to identify the right checkbox:
imgur album CcoOKep
After this, the Launcher threw out the same "backup files" error again, but for a second try, it all worked!
I may mention that before I succeeded, in my final desperate movement, I also deleted "PatchStatus.xml" from MBII folder, then ran the "reset_mbii_launcher.bat" file, altough I don't think that these helped, but rather giving permission to all the files in the GameData folder to write files just as they want.

Hope this helps!

Okay I think i've found the solution. Right click on JA/GameDate folder, go to Properties, then tick out the "write protected" label on the bottom. I don't have english Windows, so I don't know how is that called exactly, but here is a picture that may help to identify the right checkbox:
imgur album CcoOKep
After this, the Launcher threw out the same "backup files" error again, but for a second try, it all worked!
I may mention that before I succeeded, in my final desperate movement, I also deleted "PatchStatus.xml" from MBII folder, then ran the "reset_mbii_launcher.bat" file, altough I don't think that these helped, but rather giving permission to all the files in the GameData folder to write files just as they want.

Hope this helps!

Holy moly! You got it!
"Write Protected" is right, but in English windows uses "Read-Only" (Same thing).
Thanks!