The Interesting State of This Community

I'm pretty new here. I've known about Movie Battles for quite some time, but for whatever reason I had it in my mind that it was just a singleplayer mod. Having learned recently that it was multiplayer, I gave it a try because my friends were into it out of nowhere, and I just fell in love with the gameplay.

Me gushing about Sith power fantasies aside, I wanted to just make a quick comment on how this community is. It feels like this place is an anomaly outside of time itself when it comes to the internet... The way players are in-game, the mannerisms of people, the way I see clans popping up everywhere, the way players treat each other, the slang and terminology people use for mechanics or abilities, even some of the jokes a lot of people crack makes me think none of you ever moved on from the late 90s or early 2000s! It's not all the time of course, but I've noticed a decent trend over the few weeks I've been playing.

It reminds me a lot of the Quake 2 and 3 communities when they were buzzing, and it's beautiful. And most importantly a lot of the people I've met seem to actually know how to have fun and enjoy the game as it's being played by the people currently populating a server. It's rare to find places like this, and I just wanted to let y'all know how cool it is to see something like it.

When 3/4ths of the people here that play have been around for the last 5 to 15 years...

Is the wrong idea.

The place is a cult recruitment center. Nobody leaves. They might take a break, get thrown into a re-education camp, once completed, come back to serve again.

There's a donate button somewhere. No pressure.

One does not simply leave Movie Battles II...
It calls out to the players and draws them back!

This place is like Neverland. Nothing changes and you never leave.

I heard an interesting story the other month or two ago.

In the original text, Peter Pan was a very mischievous boy, and this behavior even had a dark side. In the literary world his personality would be a match for characters such as Hannibal ‘the Cannibal’ Lecter or Freddy Kruger.

One of the sinister things that Peter Pan would do is “thin the lost boys out ” when there were too many of them or when they got too old. In other words, Peter Pan would kill lost boys, his own friends. Now that behavior could be seen by some as a way to preserve their lifestyle or maintain a sustainable living environment, but it would appear that it was more a part of his psyche rather than forward thinking for the greater good of the Neverland community.

Peter Pan killed Lost Boys in other ways too
The thing is, Peter Pan killed for fun. Apart from going out on “pirate hunts“, killing pirates just for the fun of it, he would also cause havoc in the middle of battles. While the lost boys were in the middle of a battle, Peter Pan would sometimes switch sides and start killing lost boys for fun, as can be seen with the Indians. No other reason, just fun.

You have friendly and toxic players in every gaming community, with MBII being no exception to the rule I'm afraid.

That being said, I'm glad your experience has been positive so far and I hope it continues to be!

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I fully expected to see "community is cancerous and full of trolls" when I opened this thread, but instead I was pleasantly surprised. Welcome to MB2.
Exactly

I don't even know this guy but I like him already! Obviously a man of culture.