Turn Semi-Authentic Game Mode Into A Graphics Option

Title really says it all. To have it as a different gamemode kinda seems like a waste of time since it's literally the same game mode just with a limited selection of skins for authenticity. Idk the limitations of coding or the difficulty of switching it up but it would go lengths to give people more options, as it always seems like Semi-Authentic servers are either underpopulated or entirely empty in comparison.

Title really says it all. To have it as a different gamemode kinda seems like a waste of time since it's literally the same game mode just with a limited selection of skins for authenticity. Idk the limitations of coding or the difficulty of switching it up but it would go lengths to give people more options, as it always seems like Semi-Authentic servers are either underpopulated or entirely empty in comparison.
What the hell is semi-authentic?

what the hell is graphics option?

it's not just limitation of skins, the main feature of semi-authentic is class limitation - e.g. if the map's plot happens before before fall of republic, you can choose clones (and variants), SBDs, etc. If it happens after fall of republic, you cannot choose those. Don't know about limitation on other classes.

I do agree that semi-authentic is useless ATM. There used to be a new version in development (or is it still in development? I think not) which more closely tied Full authentic (predefined classes with predefined abilitities) and open mode (you can invest points freely in those predefined abilities).

I wasn't aware it made class restrictions, however there's still the problem of it being a super under-played mode. Full Authentic has a decent amount of players (not as much as Open/Duel), but not sure how to fix that. Although to slightly change my initial idea; having a visual option so only skins used in the battle/time period would still be a good addition I think. Would have some hiccups like clones being on Naboo, but limiting it to whatever is closest would work I think.

Me thinking the only way around class restrictions is to introduce some new playermodels / weapons / effects. Reskin existing classes so they would fit map's timeline, without changing their core gameplay.

But there's a problem. Most classes are closely tied to their timeline. Their gameplay designed around their characteristic features, like, for example, jetpack and flamethrower for mandalorian. How on earth you would give something like that to a droid? This would look quite gimmicky, no matter how you put it.

Advanced rebel commandos, huh.
I don't know, it may be possible. But it also means huge amount of work for developers for no reason =/
I would play it, yes.

Last edited:

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
however there's still the problem of it being a super under-played mode.
Is this actually a problem? It's not even under-played, it's just not played at all, and with good reason. I don't think I've ever seen a server running SA in over 10 years of MB2. It's not supported anymore. The current open mode models aren't even properly sorted to be used by the different SA eras (load up any map in SA right now, no models show up). I would bet that no one has bothered to make most of MB2's maps utilize the proper SA era either.

Without class restrictions, it doesn't make much sense. Sounds like it would be a lot of tedious work for something that doesn't honestly do much. I don't think it's going to feel much more authentic when you're playing Death Star and there's clones/ARCs/droidekas/SBDs running around.

Now if someone wanted to actually finish Wilde's SA overhaul, that would be cool even though it probably wouldn't see much play after the initial fun people have with it.

Semi Authentic died with v0. RC3 P4 was the last time I ever saw it being played. It just stopped being supported in any way whatsoever, and you can't even play it anymore (Like @StarWarsGeek said). It isn't avaiable in RTM either. Just completely forgotten.

Now, how would one revive it, I have no idea. The original idea behind it was obviously not popular enough to keep it alive, but I'd love to see it brought back in some way

Me thinking the only way around class restrictions is to introduce some new playermodels / weapons / effects. Reskin existing classes so they would fit map's timeline, without changing their core gameplay.

But there's a problem. Most classes are closely tied to their timeline. Their gameplay designed around their characteristic features, like, for example, jetpack and flamethrower for mandalorian. How on earth you would give something like that to a droid? This would look quite gimmicky, no matter how you put it.

Advanced rebel commandos, huh.
I don't know, it may be possible. But it also means huge amount of work for developers for no reason =/
I would play it, yes.

I don't mean anything as drastic as replacing classes with other class skins, but just limiting soldiers/commanders/classes with large and varying skins to era-accurate models. Clones and Mandos and the like would be super limited in this change, so unless we had models from FA that could be used as a replacement those wouldn't be touched much (clone phases could work but outside of that not much).

Also I fully understand that this would be a shitload of work to do, but it would do some good in replacing an already dead game mode with something people would like.