Would enforcing paired duels work?

isair

Donator
While working on improving the lamer detection system in my dueling server I thought about one possible method that if people find to be not too much of a bother, will solve the laming issue entirely. I'm thinking of dueling requests, accepting dueling requests, and treating of any unpaired kill as laming and kicking whoever does that after one warning. In a few short steps, here is how it would roughly work:

1. You face someone and press u, d, and enter. In that order. Since this basically just sends a private message to whoever you're facing, it doesn't spam the server chat.
2. If they do the same then you are paired for dueling. Successful pairings are announced by the server.
3. Pairing ends when either side dies. (I'm open to canceling mechanics that would not be easily abused)
4. If you kill someone you are not paired with, you are warned first. Then if you repeat this you are kicked. Any warnings are forgiven after one round.

So with this system, it'll take around three seconds to pair with someone you want to duel. And there is no possibility of laming becoming an issue, accidental or not. I'll add how to pair with someone and that it is necessary as a new round message and a warning message to those who kill without pairing to make sure people know this. What do you guys think? I can implement it quite fast if deemed reasonable.

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
I'm already working on actual paired duels but this is an interesting way of handling the situation if nothing else.

isair

Donator
I'm already working on actual paired duels but this is an interesting way of handling the situation if nothing else.

Great to hear that. Any ETA?

I think I'm going to test this system out tonight. I'm also thinking of telling users to bind the command to a key so it's easier for everyone.

isair

Donator
I have put up a second duel server with the pairing system implemented. Let's see how it goes.

isair

Donator
what's the server named?

It's {SF} Pair Duels! 0 Laming

I'll find a better name at some point.

Right now people who manage to do the pairing once seem to be liking it. Sometimes newcomers get frustrated trying to send a private message for some reason though. For them, pressing u doesn't seem to work, so I had to walk them through on how to bind it again, and also binding the whole exchange to a single key as well.

Also, I'm not resetting paired people at a new round start at the moment. I'll add that this evening when I have more time.

Last edited:
So I can throw myself between duels and get everyone kicked from the server if there is no admin to stop me? I like it.

So I can throw myself between duels and get everyone kicked from the server if there is no admin to stop me? I like it.

Already field tested on a poor soul called darth ryan

5410402837bf4778ca08099297a351ce.png

isair

Donator
9425c29c25b3d5d6b8a703a3cf27c318.png

Confirmed canon

O7ScvTw.gif

Sure, you'll be the only one getting banned though. And pretty quickly since there is a push notification system on incidents.

Which is what happened. As was stated before. If you were there, I bet you have seen the baiting warning shortly after the incident. Also, baiting is fairly easy to detect and will not be possible beginning tonight. Specials thanks to all the trolls for providing me with data on vulnerabilities.

You can keep track of this update and all the changes being implemented in real time on our Discord. Thanks for being a fan of the server!

Last edited: