Disabling “crosshair lock-on”

You complaining about the fact that you don't like how you have to lead your shots in a game 50% about leading your shots just means that you suck at the game and need to learn how to lead your shots. Just because you can't hit anybody doesn't mean it's a bad game mechanic.

lol

I'm guessing you've been playing since 2013?

k bud
So complaining = I suck.

You must be European. Only the Euros are this egotistical and retarded at the same time.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
At some point in the past, perhaps like 8 months ago or so, I talked about this issue with tempest quite alot and tried to get him to fix the imprecision of sticking/dynamic xhair vs normal aiming xhairs.

It was primarily to simplify where to aim for PB zones, because you'll notice you have to aim quite a bit differently in first person yet when you zoom out to 3rd person, the aim appears different on screen aka xhair offset, yet its still a PB cuz it's technically the same spot you're aiming at even though the crosshair is in two different places in 1st and 3rd person. It would be nice to have a universal standard on this.

There is also the problem that non dynamic floats above where the bullets go in most circumstances.

I think tempest was close to solving this or having some sort of working solution, but smth happened and it was never heard of again. It's not a major issue, have to weigh time investment vs what you get out of it, but if there is time for this it would be interesting to see a better version of the crosshair in game.

So complaining = I suck.
complaining about basic game mechanics that have been part of the game for decades because you don't like them* = you suck
end of discussion

I could care less that you think you're better, but you seem you'd like to have a gunners duel? Sure! I'm down. Let's schedule a time

Cg_dynamiccrosshair 0
cg_dynamiccrosshairprecision 0
deactivates it completly, i think.
For duels this could be useful, for open not at all =D

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Cg_dynamiccrosshair 0

I haven't tried it for long periods of time because it is so imprecise. I used to recommend it, but now I am almost certain that it's better to have dynamic on at all times. However, ppl can play with all sorts of weird settings if they get used to them, like fov 80 and mouse accel to give a few examples. So it's up to you if u like it better then give it a go.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Cg_dynamiccrosshair 0
The problem with this, as you can tell with about two seconds of testing, is that it makes the crosshair point at a spot where your shots aren't going.

That's bad.

Stick with dynamic crosshair, just think of it like a laser sight on your gun, because that's exactly how it works.

(As for cg_thirdpersontargetdamp and cg_thirdpersoncameradamp, those both have to do with the fact that when you move your crosshair, the camera doesn't *immediately* point to the new crosshair location. The camera gradually moves to point where the crosshair is pointing. So if you move your mouse around quickly, you will see the crosshair wiggle around the center of the screen, rather than staying centered on the screen. If you set both variables to 1, the camera is "completely damped" and will stiffly follow the crosshair, so the crosshair remains centered at all times.)

Also the sheer lack of reading comprehension and lack of thought or experimentation evident in OP's posts makes me almost shudder. It takes a matter of seconds of testing the mechanics yourself to understand that the crosshair functions like a laser sight.

still,

So this would be far less noticeable in first person view?

This is true. Because by moving the camera from "floating a couple feet above and behind your head" to "inside your head," you move the camera a lot closer to where your gun is. So you perceive less crosshair motion when the crosshair moves from pointing at a distant object to pointing at a close one. Some guns (in particular, guns that have a sniper mode) actually fire directly out of your face, so in first person your crosshair will actually be totally stationary.

Dual Pistols are also very stable from first person, BUT the crosshair for dual pistols is fucked up. The crosshair believes that the guns are positioned like an E-11, when they're actually positioned much higher. Honestly it's almost better to play dual pistols with the crosshair turned off entirely, except that the crosshair still helps for laying down long distance suppression accurately.

As far as 1st person vs 3rd person, 3rd person is better overall, but the theoretically best option is to be able to quickly switch between them, cuz first person IS situationally preferable. I have scroll-up bound to 1st person and scroll-down bound to 3rd person. Because I'm theoretically best. :D

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Update on this: found the code I had worked on a while back in a branch amidst the many we have sitting in our code repo. Should be able to get this re-tested and (hopefully) put out soon for everyone.

Reactions: SeV

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Update on this: found the code I had worked on a while back in a branch amidst the many we have sitting in our code repo. Should be able to get this re-tested and (hopefully) put out soon for everyone.
Had to scroll back to the previous page to figure out what exactly you meant: Having the crosshair be only affected by terrain and not by player models, right? Sounds dank

While you're on the topic of crosshairs, have you ever looked into the dual pistol crosshair inaccuracy? Right now the crosshair acts like the pistols are like every other pistol (fired from a lower position to the right of the jaw) when they're actually fired from very high, very widely-spaced positions. In theory, the crosshair should either tightly follow the right-hand gun or it should track to a firing position that's dead-center between the two guns (like the M5/EE-3 firing position).

I imagine the issue is that dual pistols just pull from the same crosshair logic as all other pistols?

(of course it'd be best to have two crosshairs but I figure that must be a huge hassle if not impossible)