The game is fking slow (RANT)

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF THIS GAME IS THAT IT'S A FKING SLOW ASS PIECE OF SLOTH.

1. Loading times
2. Crashes
3. (Join) bugs
4. Waiting to spawn (no way to spawn after round start or fast-join; 5-minutes rounds, long time dead or waiting)
5. Slow game pace
6. Player behaviour

So, basically, you start the game, wait for the map to load, and if a long ass loading time isn't enough, it glitches up at the end and the game won't start with you waiting for it as supposed to for minutes like an idiot, but you have to go back to main menu and reconnect. The game finally starts, but it's the round countdown, and you with your lightning reflexes have to click ESC -> Join -> Choose team -> Choose class -> Choose model -> Open class config -> Choose skill points -> Click OK while the game counts 3... 2... 1..., but damn you are already too late and you miss the whole round fking in spec. You wait and you wait in spec while a douchebag goes to a glitched spot on the map to timewaste while the enemies can't kill him, and the whole 5 minutes pass. You finally spawn after that misery, but, hell no, your build is all fked up as if you didn't choose anything and you can't open up the class config window. You walk a long walk on a huge map in the side route and realise no one is there, go all the way to enemy spawn, no one there, then back to main, no one there, finally after a three-minute walk you reach the objective with enemies pushing, but hell no they kill you in one second 'cos you have saber defense 0 from the join bug. The enemies and the allies RP at the objective going melee trying to punch and suck each other's dicks by crouching in front of a standing player and moving their camera up and down. Another 5 minutes pass and you want to spawn again, but hell no, there comes map change and you wait a long loading time and join just at the *RIGHT* moment while the round countdown goes 3... 2... 1... With your lightning reflexes again, you go all those steps to join, but it's too late again. Another 5 minutes pass 'cos 2 soldiers are left last and they respawn 4 times after being killed at the enemy objective and have to run the whole map to go back to it and die again and respawn, and die again, while all the time they couldn't really do shit and are useless pieces of the same substance. You spawn again on the imperial team and think the misery is over, but no, you have the notorious Kyle bug, you go main and an idiot ally discharges his mando rocket on you that you can't even push 'cos you are on his team 'cos he thinks you are the enemy 'cos you look like one. Again, five minutes pass 'cos two saberist stay last and have 'cool duelz'. They look at each other half of the time and run away from each other when low BP, and finally the clock ticks 0:00. Again, you think it will be fine, but next round you join a kowakian monkey lizard slashes the TK out of a half of your team including you and reconnects with another IP to TK more, and there is no admin online, as if they could do anything with an IP changer. Then another troll wookiee blocks the Deathstar reb spawn door until an ally slashes him to death and gets kicked for TK points. After all this shite, his friend goes to the objective room and locks himself in the closet while imps can't do anything about it 'cos they don't have a sith. So, another five minutes pass of you waiting in spec. It's time to spawn again, but *BAM* the screen glitches up with that notorious "Connection interrupted" message on it and the icon of the old phone modem socket with 1 kb/sec internet blinking in the lower right corner, and all you can do is discharge your computer from the electricity socket. You drop on the ground tired from all this bullshit and raise your hand to push the computer start button, but hell no, nothing happens, the computer just dies. You click it and you click it a thousand times with your eyeballs bulging out of their sockets and cold sweat dropping from your forehead. Finally, in the last miserable attempt to end this misery, you go to the balcony and jump out from the 49th floor splashing your brains out on the hot midday asphalt covered with cold snow. This game is dangerous.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
it's a game about star wars you're supposed to become a space buddhist

be at peace. git gud at being at peace. let the peace flow through you.

TelZ2oR.png

Your signature reminds me of this:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
ok yes agreed. (I use my sig to display my current in-game name since I change my name a lot, but recently i've just been using this name in various colors so the sig reflects that.) (but also looks like some kind of colorful spammy branding statement.) (It's got a bonus ironic joke to it, Rainbow Spam is very "maximalist" and the name lessen is about "minimalism.") (unnecessary depth is my shtick, as a pseudointellectual wanker)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
1) There is only so much we can do here. Being on an old engine is severely limiting. Having a better PC does help quite a bit though. I saw my load times decrease by like 30 seconds with my new PC. We have done just about everything else we can do except for moving all of the files outside of pk3s. Problem is this becomes a massive organizational issue for us. I also have no idea how much gain it would get us in comparison to say the PNG to TGA conversion we did for load times. It would also be a lot of work to do and not be an organizational nightmare. We would need to modify all the texture and shader paths for every single map as well as scripts and other things and recompile all the levels to do this.

2) We are always working on crashes and crash fixes. The last two hot fixes were crash fixes. If you can help is track down more, then it would be much appreciated.

3) Join Bugs. We are always working on this as well and has always been a back and forth. We have some more improvements coming soon here that hopefully lessen the amount of join bugs.

4) While we can't allow mid-round joining for the Assault game mode I would personally like to implement a feature to be able to join in the first 20-30 or so seconds of the start of a round for people who are a little slow choosing their points when joining. Other game modes like Duel should have mid-round joining soonish.

I can't really address the other two, as they're situational. Some rounds are pretty fast, some are not, even on larger maps. I personally think many in the community need to work on improving their attitude and behavior in servers but that is also outside of my power to do.

If you have any specific timewasting spots/locations that bother you on a map. Send them to me and I can see if it is possible to fix.

1) There is only so much we can do here. Being on an old engine is severely limiting. Having a better PC does help quite a bit though. I saw my load times decrease by like 30 seconds with my new PC. We have done just about everything else we can do except for moving all of the files outside of pk3s. Problem is this becomes a massive organizational issue for us. I also have no idea how much gain it would get us in comparison to say the PNG to TGA conversion we did for load times. It would also be a lot of work to do and not be an organizational nightmare. We would need to modify all the texture and shader paths for every single map as well as scripts and other things and recompile all the levels to do this.
Is it possible for that loading time reduction thingy after the first load to stay saved when you exit the game and for it to stay fast after, the next times you run it?

a feature to be able to join in the first 20-30 or so seconds of the start of a round
This is just what I've been suggesting before.

I personally think many in the community need to work on improving their attitude and behavior in servers but that is also outside of my power to do.
The windows for trolling should be reduced wherever possible, it's something I've been talking about in my past threads, but I forgot exactly where and for what.

If you have any specific timewasting spots/locations that bother you on a map. Send them to me and I can see if it is possible to fix.
I have a threadful of them: Timewasting Places

I've been addressing every single one of these issues and points accross my past threads, this thread is just a rundown of the situation.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Is it possible for that loading time reduction thingy after the first load to stay saved when you exit the game and for it to stay fast after, the next times you run it?

This is probably driver or engine side. I wonder if JKA unloads all of its assets off of the GPU too fast when quitting, or doesn't realize they're already cached because its a new instance of jka.

This is just what I've been suggesting before.

Not sure I've seen where you suggested it but I am pretty sure I talked about it a few times interally but kept forgetting to make it an actual task for someone to take care of. Ill do it now.

I have a threadful of them: Timewasting Places

Yeah, I have fixed several of the ones from that thread in the last few patches. Haven't had time to fix all of them. I have a pretty huge list internally of things to fix.

I've been addressing every single one of these issues and points accross my past threads, this thread is just a rundown of the situation.

Some things get lost in threads over time because of how they're formatted or other babble just gets too hard to follow. I don't always have time to read through everyones entire post. Like I didn't read through the wall of text with no paragraphs you posted here just skimmed it. Clear concise bullet points really help us miss less things.

The pillars in deathstars are classic timewaster spot but then it'll become the Tie Hangar.

Yeah I am aware of those. Haven't made it to death star in my checklist yet.