Jump Blocking revamp and Lightning deflection.

Eazy E

Banned
If you jump and hold block it makes you immune to force powers at little to no penalty (same with doing DFA/Kata while holding block). My suggestion is that you make it so that below a certain BP level Jumping and blocking (and doing special moves and blocking) no longer make you immune to force.

Suggested levels:
Saber Defence level 1: 80 bp
Saber Defence level 2: 50 bp
Saber Defence level 3: 25 bp

Also just on a side note as I know this has been discussed before but I think that making lightning deflect-able would add a new layer of depth to the power instead of just making it very gimmicky as it is right now (If you force focus someone and just spam lightning on them they cannot attack at all allowing you to regen all your bp with no downside aside from FP drain).

Personally I think that anyone in the air should be affected by push or pull no matter their FP/BP. This allows to punish aggressive push over a gap or retreats.
Otherwise jedi would be immune to most power except grip provided they stand still for long enough.

Personally I think that anyone in the air should be affected by push or pull no matter their FP/BP
I think this is a bad idea

Take a look at Palpy
After mercilessly striking down several duelists in the back Palpy angered the whole server. Now they are all running, trying to catch him, swinging wildly, accidently killing each other.

They almost got him!
But he managed to get to the generator room and jumped up on the bridge. But what is this? Instead of being afraid he started spouting nonsensical accusations, calling out their mothers, grinning like a true madman at the same time.
Dark side is strong in this one.

Now, blinded by rage, one of the pursuers jumps with all his might to the bridge, trying to end Palpy's madness.
- REKT!
Palpy simply pushes away poor bastard - thanks to recent "jump nerf" unfortunate jedi meets his end in the bottomless pit of generator room.

Another jedi, seeing his comrade fall, tries to get a different route. Palpy, however had both the high ground and could see through the lies of the jedis. Noticing jedi's intentions he simply rushes to intercept him. Thanks to significant range of force push palpy manages to get this poor bastard down too.

So the story continued up untill some admin came up and banned everyone on server.
Well, you got the idea.

Last edited:

Take a look at Palpy
After mercilessly striking down several duelists in the back Palpy angered the whole server. Now they are all running, trying to catch him, swinging wildly, accidently killing each other.

They almost got him!
But he managed to get to the generator room and jumped up on the bridge. But what is this? Instead of being afraid he started spouting nonsensical accusations, calling out their mothers, grinning like a true madman at the same time.

Now, blinded by rage, one of the pursuers jumps with all his might to the bridge, trying to end Palpy's madness.
- REKT!
Palpy simply pushes away poor bastard - thanks to recent "jump nerf" unfortunate jedi meets his end in the bottomless pit of generator room.

Another jedi, seeing his comrade fall, tries to get a different route. Palpy, however had both the high ground and could see through the lies of the jedis. Noticing jedi's intentions he simply rushes to intercept him. Thanks to significant range of force push palpy manages to get this poor bastard down too.

So the story continued up untill some admin came up and banned everyone on server.
Well, you got the idea.
so basically a sith used people's anger against them to make them dumber? It means he can also be pushed the next time he jumps and be punish if he comes back to lame. In the meantime people can walk to him with the elevators.
In an open server people can: a) go for the objectives b) throw their lightsaber c) let gunners do their job d) use an alternative path e) ignore him.

In maps like deathstar that would mean that players can just jump the gap without any worries and just swing like a mad man in the hopes of getting anyone. But if the jump can be punished people will try to blindside their enemies or use the bridges or go around.

Jump invincibility does not promote teamwork and/or skills in my eyes.

so basically a sith used people's anger against them to make them dumber? It means he can also be pushed the next time he jumps and be punish if he comes back to lame. In the meantime people can walk to him with the elevators.
It seems to me like you haven't been introduced to our "troll problem" properly yet.
I had a lot of experience with people like that in the past. It's already incredibly difficult to punish these bastards if they know what they are doing.

That only matters for duel mode of course.

P.S. though, I must say it's not really that much of a problem now, with "lives" in duel mode and things like that. Still, trolls happen.

Let's move to open.
In maps like deathstar that would mean that players can just jump the gap without any worries and just swing like a mad man in the hopes of getting anyone.
Jump takes FP, remember? It's a trade-off. In your proposed scenario a jedi that jumped across the gap between bridges would be much lower on FP. -> Easy prey for gunners.

But if the jump can be punished people will try to blindside their enemies or use the bridges or go around.
Yeh, but no.
Reason = mapdesign.

Eazy E

Banned

Take a look at Palpy

They almost got him!

- REKT!

Well, you got the idea.
Yes because jumping would drain 50 points of your bp right?

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Lightning could have a fun layer to it if it drained FP from the target it is hitting. The big drawback would be that the target could reflect this lightning back by holding block and targeting a player. This is fun and makes Lightning more unique.

Additional jump vulnerability would be very limiting. Jedi/Sith are already required to hold block and slow down their jump to avoid getting pushed/pulled on most occasions. As it stands jumping is already a very risky move and anything further to make it even less encouraged might take any remaining fun out of it.

Eazy E

Banned
Lightning could have a fun layer to it if it drained FP from the target it is hitting. The big drawback would be that the target could reflect this lightning back by holding block and targeting a player. This is fun and makes Lightning more unique.

Additional jump vulnerability would be very limiting. Jedi/Sith are already required to hold block and slow down their jump to avoid getting pushed/pulled on most occasions. As it stands jumping is already a very risky move and anything further to make it even less encouraged might take any remaining fun out of it.
Against gunners Jump is a risky move I wont deny that but against Jedi or Sith it has very little drawback and allows for low bp players to easily escape. That's why I suggested making the mechanic bp related as gunner's can't drain bp but Jedi and Sith can.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
This is actually something I had already looked at for my rework of stuff!

Deflecting Lightning does seem like a pretty cool idea. Will think over ways that it could work and see what I can come up with.

i feel like jump block shouldn't make you invincible to force powers if you're below your force block fp or a predetermined amount like <25 maybe this change would be more reasonable and make more sense?

Eazy E

Banned
i feel like jump block shouldn't make you invincible to force powers if you're below your force block fp or a predetermined amount like <25 maybe this change would be more reasonable and make more sense?
It shouldn't be based on FP though because jumping to very high areas will leave you susceptible to force which can easily be abused.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Ofc you should but as long as you hold block there is no penalty right?
Why should holding block magically negate all of the purpose/design of FB (i.e. to protect you while you're above a certain threshhold of FP)? It only does with with FB3 (if I'm remembering correctly from recent switching between FB3 and FB2) which is silly enough as an inconsistency, let alone actual intended design. I'm not meaning that being below X FP for whatever FB level you have should make you auto-100% susceptible to whatever force stuff is thrown at you, but you should also not be 100% immune to powers by holding block.

Eazy E

Banned
Why should holding block magically negate all of the purpose/design of FB (i.e. to protect you while you're above a certain threshhold of FP)? It only does with with FB3 (if I'm remembering correctly from recent switching between FB3 and FB2) which is silly enough as an inconsistency, let alone actual intended design. I'm not meaning that being below X FP for whatever FB level you have should make you auto-100% susceptible to whatever force stuff is thrown at you, but you should also not be 100% immune to powers by holding block.
So you agree with me?

So you agree with me?
What if using force push on someone in the air would either reduce their forward momentum or just stop it. That way instead of being pushed it would simply negate a part of the jump. Meaning that jumping wouldn't be that penalizing but still be risking across gaps?

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team

3 Points:
  • FB Rank doesn't stop you Jumping and Holding block to stop the effects of Push/Pull (this is good).
  • If you couldn't Block to avoid knockback/down from other Saberist you'd never be able to fight a gunner who has a Saberist ally (this is bad).
  • This should be controlled by the drains. If its a problem gunners to fight Saberist who are midair, the drains vs block can be increased when they are in this state to punish the play more (provided you can aim), while still having the option to maneuver the map. The main problem I see right now is that being Mid air gives you an advantage vs flinch, as your momentum during the attack won't trigger the flinch effect. Which is why I'd like to see Flinch match IDR (100>200) as this would then apply consistently in this type of scenario (this is needed).
Side note, I like the idea of deflecting lightning.

Eazy E

Banned
3 Points:
  • FB Rank doesn't stop you Jumping and Holding block to stop the effects of Push/Pull (this is good).
  • If you couldn't Block to avoid knockback/down from other Saberist you'd never be able to fight a gunner who has a Saberist ally (this is bad).
  • This should be controlled by the drains. If its a problem gunners to fight Saberist who are midair, the drains vs block can be increased when they are in this state to punish the play more (provided you can aim), while still having the option to maneuver the map. The main problem I see right now is that being Mid air gives you an advantage vs flinch, as your momentum during the attack won't trigger the flinch effect. Which is why I'd like to see Flinch match IDR (100>200) as this would then apply consistently in this type of scenario (this is needed).
Side note, I like the idea of deflecting lightning.
Thats why I recommended that the effectiveness of jumping and blocking should be based on your block points.