Do you like new DOTF?

• Yes

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 27 21.3%

• Total voters
An acquaintance informed me that the changes made will make it even more difficult to defend...

45dc86f84906fcf2e90cae87f54758fd.gif

Unfortunate.

Eh I didn’t really figure it out. New dotf for me is something between : mb2_dotf, mb2_classic_dotf and theed.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Yes, with the caveat that pulling troops from side to defend the throne should be a little easier - right now, the safest strategy is to camp T-Junction or throne because anyone who tries to defend the generator will either have to hurry through the hangar or risk getting ambushed as they exit fed.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
It looks cool, but FPS ain't very gud.

The new version of duel dotf seems pretty laggy for me. Anyone else experience the same? Tbh, fps is super important when dueling, so the fact that a map has low FPS will mean it will be played less. This is true for the new dotf aswell I think.

And gameplay wise I miss catwalk. I liked the vertical aspect of the map. Its one of the unique things about MBII compared to smth like CSGO.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
1.4.6 Official Feedback Thread

DOTF Framerate
The map is just about as optimized as it can be. There were some bugs with VIS around throne but I managed to fix most of that just before release. I will see if I can do much more. However, we found that a lot of the framerate problem is not really a fault of the level itself. The level itself is actually pretty well optimized. The problem is just exacerbated by the increase in I did some quick testing with Aaron and we found multiple player models that just completely eat resources. For example, one Wookiee model uses over 1/2 the resources of the entire hangar on DOTF. This one model also happens to have more triangles when paired with its holstered weapons, than Battlefront 2 (2017)'s Naboo N1 Starfighter while also not having LoDs meaning it is drawing at that high density even when it is across the map causing alpha overdraw (fur), quad overdraw, and a bunch of other issues. And it is far from the only model with this issue. So if a single player model is eating so many resources compared to the map. There really isn't much I can do when I can't have the detail of just two player models on the map. This is also a perfect example of why we can't just add every model and skin in existence into the mod.

Just addressing this here too. Maybe this pushes for an optimization pass on everything else.

No problems with FPS on my end, as for balance, before you had way more freedom to roam around throne room as imps when rebs pushed, now you're forced to stay in the circle or else you lose in 1,00321s (+- 0,00002s), which is good because it prevents stalling, but bad because games can end too quickly.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
A good chunk of the issues are in the feedback thread. I've already made adjustments based off of that. Just waiting for holiday stuff to be done so we can test them a bit and get it out to everyone.

Many people just don't like change tbh. I like the new dotf myself, but the main criticisms would be lack of cover in hangar and the level being too bright

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Classic version of DOTF is not being added, and will not be added because of framerate complaints. Current DOTF is using less than 9% of the total resources used on screen at any given moment when there are more than 15 players in the server. Please direct complaints to those who wish every model in existence get added to the game regardless of how unoptimized they are. (Sith stalker: 20,000 triangles [dotf hangar has 30k] and 380 draw calls [should have maybe 6])

I recommend not using model replacement packages if you are having framerate problems.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Classic version of DOTF is not being added, and will not be added because of framerate complaints. Current DOTF is using less than 9% of the total resources used on screen at any given moment when there are more than 15 players in the server. Please direct complaints to those who wish every model in existence get added to the game regardless of how unoptimized they are. (Sith stalker: 20,000 triangles [dotf hangar has 30k] and 380 draw calls [dotf hangar has 303])

I recommend not using model replacement packages if you are having framerate problems.

So, should we ask peneke to make a FPS model pack then? With a bunch of the older models that are more optimized. Might be a worthwhile pursuit since it seems that alot of ppl are having FPS problems in the new patch.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
So, should we ask peneke to make a FPS model pack then? With a bunch of the older models that are more optimized. Might be a worthwhile pursuit since it seems that alot of ppl are having FPS problems in the new patch.

Peneke is working on main line LoDs at the moment but I fear that by extracting the meshes from JKA there are more draw calls being added. I need to do some more research into this so that we can actually fix the problem properly without removing/overwriting a ton of models. Fixing it by reducing triangles to actual JKA capable counts, proper LoDs, merging a lot of textures into a single atlas, etc. GrandCoderJohn is working on something that would effectively be way you are saying but is from a programming standpoint that peneke mentioned in his thread I believe. Where you could put force models back on and it would have a single optimized model for a specific class.

It is far from the only problem though that is causing performance drops but is the major problem at the moment.