¿How to modify mb2 base language?

Hello!, simple as the thread name says.
I would like to know if there is a way to translate mb2 to spanish.
It would be helpfull to have Latin Americans playing in our servers!

Last edited:

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Hello! Have you tried how much of MB2 gets translated if your default JA installation language is Spanish? Raven Software fully supported several languages so running MB2 with the Spanish version of JA should be possible.

Sadly MB2's case is that there is no previous work done regarding custom languages when it comes to the unique features of the mod. It has never been a focus as far as I know.

However you're absolutely right that localization is very important in order to reach as wide an audience as possible regarding game development. If there was a person with the knowledge and will to implement localization (coding and translation wise) then I doubt anyone on the dev team would have much against that. Just currently it's not on the agenda nor a priority.

Hello! Have you tried how much of MB2 gets translated if your default JA installation language is Spanish? Raven Software fully supported several languages so running MB2 with the Spanish version of JA should be possible.

Sadly MB2's case is that there is no previous work done regarding custom languages when it comes to the unique features of the mod. It has never been a focus as far as I know.

However you're absolutely right that localization is very important in order to reach as wide an audience as possible regarding game development. If there was a person with the knowledge and will to implement localization (coding and translation wise) then I doubt anyone on the dev team would have much against that. Just currently it's not on the agenda nor a priority.

Uhm.. i just know a bit of coding and my native language is spanish. If the developers could send the files to modify count with me

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Inside MBAssets3.pk3 there is a folder called Strings with various subfolders for each language. I am not exactly sure how they all work as some contain the multiple languages in the string file, but then there is also the folder versions. However, each of the .str files are simply text files you can open up in an editor like Notepad++ and start adding your own translations into the correct sections.

I would imagine if you decide to take on this task, and the translation gets verified by others (My Spanish is extremely rusty so I am of no use there) I am sure the team would gladly use them officially.

Inside MBAssets3.pk3 there is a folder called Strings with various subfolders for each language. I am not exactly sure how they all work as some contain the multiple languages in the string file, but then there is also the folder versions. However, each of the .str files are simply text files you can open up in an editor like Notepad++ and start adding your own translations into the correct sections.

I would imagine if you decide to take on this task, and the translation gets verified by others (My Spanish is extremely rusty so I am of no use there) I am sure the team would gladly use them officially.

Dear amigo, as you said, those are the strings that i was looking for, BUT, my mind's telling me that MB2 will never have an options (like the webpage) to choose between languages.. :c.. or even modificating mb2. (Server plugins, addons, scripts)
I would really like to help the developers to translate and make this mod better and better (as other players), but.. if there is no change within the years... (gasps)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
In-game check Setup -> Game Options. At the very bottom you will see options for Text and Voice languages. You will see that some things, but not all, are already supported.

If you wanted to take the time, it is possible to add localization support to many areas of MB2 without the help of developers. Adding an identifier to a where an old string was with @STRING_REFERENCE_NAME_HERE style then creating or updating existing string files with the correct identifier and old text.

In-game check Setup -> Game Options. At the very bottom you will see options for Text and Voice languages. You will see that some things, but not all, are already supported.

If you wanted to take the time, it is possible to add localization support to many areas of MB2 without the help of developers. Adding an identifier to a where an old string was with @STRING_REFERENCE_NAME_HERE style then creating or updating existing string files with the correct identifier and old text.

I know the IN-Game options, and as you said, there is vital information that isn't supported, the "libraries" for example, or mb2 guides. :c

Ill try to contact someone near the developers, in some specific topics of the forums, but.. if mb2 continues without updates, it will die soon.. there is other jka mods that are very fun, but this one became very realistic ("""logic""" battles for me, ofc there is other games) compared to them.
Helping mb2 to survive its in the hands of the community and the disposition of the developers.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I know the IN-Game options, and as you said, there is vital information that isn't supported, the "libraries" for example, or mb2 guides. :c

I think our goal has been to move away from the in-game library because of how hard it is to update and maintain. We would rather update the wiki at this point (any help is appreciated obviously). The menus are all based in text files and you could do the modifications I mentioned if you really wanted to.

if mb2 continues without updates, it will die soon.. .

Don't worry. Updates are coming. Good chance it will be out before the movie lands.

I think our goal has been to move away from the in-game library because of how hard it is to update and maintain. We would rather update the wiki at this point (any help is appreciated obviously). The menus are all based in text files and you could do the modifications I mentioned if you really wanted to.
QUOTE]

The wiki seems very helpful!, still, doesn't have a language selector, how can i help?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The wiki seems very helpful!, still, doesn't have a language selector, how can i help?

Looks like we have to directly request to have a language selector added. They might want some content already there, not sure. Will have to look into that later. I am guessing you can still begin adding things using the format here: Interlanguage link