Reshaping the tk point system

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
There was once a great Jedi. This great Jedi thought that he will be as supportive as possible. This Jedi buys push. This Jedi will do his or hers best to push the bad nades away to keep the teammates from harm's way. Sadly, this is not always so easy for our hero jedi; the nades can sometimes be devilishly tricky to push that even our great Jedi might once or twice push one into their teammates and make a big mess out of them. Usually teammates understand that the jedi only pushed the nade accidentally into them and are kind enough to press f2 to forgive the great Jedi. Now this is where the system truly punches the great Jedi into the groins. No matter how supportive our hero tries to be, he now has so many tk points that the great jedi is starting to second guess about pushing nades in the fear of hurting his teammates, inevitably leading to his own demise by tk points.

What can we learn about this tragedy of great Jedi the supportive? That something has to change. This is how I would change the system of punish, ignore and forgive:

Punish: Pretty simple, it will stay exactly the same
Forgive: not only does it not punish the player that team killed, but it also forgives the tk points that the finishing blow dealt
Ignore: Does not forgive the tk points that the finishing blow dealt, but neither does it give any extra punishment anymore

With this system we could more easily forgive teammates that team killed accidentally without limiting them. I believe the biggest problem is picking a saberist and being afraid of pushing nades back because it may scratch a teammate and you will die because of it. Also playing high rate of fire guns is a problem if you have a high tk count; even the smallest dmg dealt on a teammate resets the tk point counter and it will not diminish the next round.

One problem with this system that comes to my mind is: no more instant deaths if you team kill and you have too many tk points to withstand it. With this system death would not come until the player punishes or ignores for the needed period of time. I've got a simple solution for this: Before the forgive command is given, the tk points that were dealt by the finishing blow will remain active.

Even this system has its own flaws. For example, you have a gun with a high rate of fire and you do a lot of team damage in a short period of time. The finishing blow does only, lets say, 5 hp dmg which means that even if forgiven you're still left with 95 tk points nonetheless. I think that if it is possible, there could be a certain time span that if you team kill, then all tk points collected in that certain time span (a second?) would be forgiven, as long as the team killed player decides to forgive.

What do you guys think? I believe this would greatly improve the current system and let players play without the constant fear of tk points. Surely you cannot get rid of unfair rage punishes but that is something we will have to live with.

Last edited:
There was once a great Jedi. This great Jedi thought that he will be as supportive as possible. This Jedi buys push. This Jedi will do his or hers best to push the bad nades away to keep the teammates from harm's way. Sadly, this is not always so easy for our hero jedi; the nades can sometimes be devilishly tricky to push that even our great Jedi might once or twice push one into their teammates and make a big mess out of them. Usually teammates understand that the jedi only pushed the nade accidentally into them and are kind enough to press f2 to forgive the great Jedi. Now this is where the system truly punches the great Jedi into the groins. No matter how supportive our hero tries to be, he now has so many tk points that the great jedi is starting to second guess about pushing nades in the fear of hurting his teammates, inevitably leading to his own demise by tk points.

What can we learn about this tragedy of great Jedi the supportive? That something has to change. This is how I would change the system of punish, ignore and forgive:

Punish: Pretty simple, it will stay exactly the same
Forgive: not only does it not punish the player that team killed, but it also forgives the tk points that the finishing blow dealt
Ignore: Does not forgive the tk points that the finishing blow dealt, but neither does it give any extra punishment anymore

With this system we could more easily forgive teammates that team killed accidentally without limiting them. I believe the biggest problem is picking a saberist and being afraid of pushing nades back because it may scratch a teammate and you will die because of it. Also playing high rate of fire guns is a problem if you have a high tk count; even the smallest dmg dealt on a teammate resets the tk point counter and it will not diminish the next round.

One problem with this system that comes to my mind is: no more instant deaths if you team kill and you have too many tk points to withstand it. With this system death would not come until the player punishes or ignores for the needed period of time. I've got a simple solution for this: Before the forgive command is given, the tk points that were dealt by the finishing blow will remain active.

Even this system has its own flaws. For example, you have a gun with a high rate of fire and you do a lot of team damage in a short period of time. The finishing blow does only, lets say, 5 hp dmg which means that even if forgiven you're still left with 95 tk points nonetheless. I think that if it is possible, there could be a certain time span that if you team kill, then all tk points collected in the time span of a second would be forgiven, as long as the team killed player decides to forgive.

What do you guys think? I believe this would greatly improve the current system and let players play without the constant fear of tk points. Surely you cannot get rid of unfair rage punishes but that is something we will have to live with.

The current system only works if your teammates aren't assholes. And we know how often that happens...

I like your changes though. Step in the right direction

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The current system only works if your teammates aren't assholes. And we know how often that happens...

I like your changes though. Step in the right direction
Not much you can do about those guys, but honestly from my experience most people do forgive. If I can have 70 percent less of those times when I have a unreasonable tk count, then I would take that.

Hahaha Gargos I think you are the only jedi I know who constantly blows up his teammates with bad pushes.

Nice changes though, not sure if anybody gonna code this but definitely a good idea.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Nice changes though, not sure if anybody gonna code this but definitely a good idea.

Thanks, but I do not think this would be that hard to code? The tk point system is already there, all it needs now is some adjustments.

One more thing that should be changed in the TK system is that you lose 50 TK points each time you get executed by it. This way you won't get executed 50 times in a row for an unlucky TK.

I am for this, garg. I made the same thread (TKP on !Forgive ) few months ago (except I didn't care for tkp when you neither punish nor forgive).

This may be a bit of a derail, but if somebody was going to touch the TKP system, perhaps they could also fix the TKP choice window (F1-F3 for !F, !P, cancel), since sometimes when you press button to forgive, nothing happens and the dude gets half !P tkp (game not accepting !f or the key for !F anymore) and if you choose nothing and the window times out, all three keys get bugged and do not respond to your binds (and I do have binds on F1-F3 keys).

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This may be a bit of a derail, but if somebody was going to touch the TKP system, perhaps they could also fix the TKP choice window (F1-F3 for !F, !P, cancel), since sometimes when you press button to forgive, nothing happens and the dude gets half !P tkp (game not accepting !f or the key for !F anymore) and if you choose nothing and the window times out, all three keys get bugged and do not respond to your binds (and I do have binds on F1-F3 keys).

This bug happens if you chat after you get team killed before you choose. It can help if you type !f

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I like the idea. Light enough a change that makes the system a bit more forgiving. Currently it feels a bit harsh how a couple of rage !p's combined with random stray shots can really fuck your game up for 10 rounds.

One more thing that should be changed in the TK system is that you lose 50 TK points each time you get executed by it. This way you won't get executed 50 times in a row for an unlucky TK.
lol i can just imagine paradine and apex abusing the shit out of this

lol i can just imagine paradine and apex abusing the shit out of this
You would still get more TK points from TKing than you would lose after you get executed. Plus, I don't think it's worth getting executed just to lose 50 points. The consistent TKers would still reach the kick point limit. Getting executed once or two or three times is enough of a punishment.

Good ideas!
Or for an alternative you can maybe just make gr- nevermind your ideas are great