•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[EXPIRED] 999 ping spikes

k4far

Banned
Donator
I dont think its someone causing servers to lag for him

I do not think someone is lagging only him. It would be way more people if the issue was bigger.
You can factory reset your router, clean it out of dust... after you run out of options like this I would ask for further help.

Also, mention the server is it on all of the servers.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
You've done the typical networking improvements right?

/snaps 40
/cl_maxpackets 100
/rate 25000

These should ensure your game is taking in as much data as it can. Once these configurations are in place though, the problem must be somewhere beyond MB2.

If it does not help, try playing with a cable rather than wifi as it provides a far more stable connection. This is something highly recommended for any real-time online game as wifi has higher latency and packet loss. If this does not help, contact your provider.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
What's so wrong about it. I am playing with wifi too.
Packet loss and latency. You can get a significantly better online experience especially in games that have bad packet loss handling if you use a wire.

When playing modern games you'll probably notice less issues, but they're still there. Masked by the engine to make your user experience look fluid, while in reality you're probably missing timings, shots, inputs and events because of packet loss.

Of course wifi can be okay especially with full bars etc, but it still won't be as good as using a wire.

Packet loss and latency. You can get a significantly better online experience especially in games that have bad packet loss handling if you use a wire.

When playing modern games you'll probably notice less issues, but they're still there. Masked by the engine to make your user experience look fluid, while in reality you're probably missing timings, shots, inputs and events because of packet loss.

Of course wifi can be okay especially with full bars etc, but it still won't be as good as using a wire.
I have a good wifi and a rather good ping on servers. I barely have latency or packet loss. The only thing I'd like to have is smooth 125fps. But I understand it can only be achieved by buying good pc.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
I have a good wifi and a rather good ping on servers. I barely have latency or packet loss. The only thing I'd like to have is smooth 125fps. But I understand it can only be achieved by buying good pc.
I would not be surprised if your ping gets about 5-20ms lower if you use cable. So latency ought to improve without a doubt.

Example:
On my desktop that is hooked to the modem -> 70-80ms on BG
On my laptop that is hooked to the wifi -> 80-90ms on BG

Yeah I have to agree. I had bad ping even in BG servers until I did:
/snaps 40
/cl_maxpackets 100
/rate 25000
Also what I did I switched to: LAN/Cable.

Thanks for the help.

I usually have 50-70 ping on servers like AOD, tR(which i rarely play on. I mean... tR, lol.) and the US officials. I think I just need a better PC, the one I currently have is hella old lmao. I've had it for... what is it, Tuesday?

10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh. The thing is, it'll just sit there for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES just doing it's little happy dance while I try to get it to fucking work. Then, it crashes, but my dumbass PC still registers that it's still fucking running, so it won't let me reopen, and I have to restart my entire fucking computer to enjoy a fucking Star Wars game.

Last edited by a moderator:

k4far

Banned
Donator
Ugh. The thing is, it'll just sit there for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES just doing it's little happy dance while I try to get it to fucking work. Then, it crashes, but my dumbass PC still registers that it's still fucking running, so it won't let me reopen, and I have to restart my entire fucking computer to enjoy a fucking Star Wars game.

What is the specification of your device?

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Your problems described in the OP mostly sound like the problems of a shitty computer on a shitty network. At worst I get very occasional crashes, and I get some ping spikes but I'm completely sure they're the fault of my network.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
You already had a thread about this very issue. Please don't create duplicate topics.
Please don't name threads the way you did for this one (before I merged thread, title was "I'm fucking done"), name of a thread in Support section must be descriptive, explaining the whole issue in one sentence. No meaningless names.
And please, no profanity in thread titles as well.
This is the Support, after all. We have a standards.

afcdf409b345.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

When I joined the round today, I got UBER lag at round start as usual, but the following message showed up in console:

Com_sprintf: overflow of 66 in 64

Is this something I need to fix?

Last edited:

eezstreet

Update:

When I joined the round today, I got UBER lag at round start as usual, but the following message showed up in console:

Is this something I need to fix?
Unfortunately that's probably due to some kind of bug in the game, not due to anything you can prevent. What client are you running?

"The engine tries to write a string to a buffer that isn't large enough to hold it. Which can be caused by almost anything."
It should not prevent you from playing. "A broken .pk3 (containing a corruped .jpeg or .tga) file might be causing it."
So, would repair installation do anything? Like, COMPLETE jka and mb2 re-installation?