Real talk, the future of MBII and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Also I'm extremely happy to see jorge admitting that the 5 min thing was added to deter RP'ers. Mace has been extremely disingenuous on this topic for years, making up excuses and not actually admitting that this was the main reason (which I know it to be). So thanks jorge for actually being honest and not acting like a dodgy politician.

Jorge wasn't even around then, he doesn't know why the time limit was added. He knows one reason it is maintained.

anyway. JEDI KNIGHT GALAXIES. MACE WAS THE LEAD LEVEL DESIGNER. OMG MACE HATES RP... knock it off.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Jorge wasn't even around then, he doesn't know why the time limit was added. He knows one reason it is maintained.

anyway. JEDI KNIGHT GALAXIES. MACE WAS THE LEAD LEVEL DESIGNER. OMG MACE HATES RP... knock it off.

Where did your post in this thread, where you called RP'ers in MBII cancerous go? As I read through your walls of text the other day, I'm sure I saw atleast one such instance. I also did not see all the added concessions about you working on JKG and suddenly being pro-RP.

But regardless of all of our bullshit mace, return to the topic at hand. How do you explain a game like CSGO having adjustable round limits and bomb timers and many other server side commands, not just surviving but THRIVING like hell right now? Your argument about locking time limits is just invalid and doesn't apply. Having the option to customize is good. Being forced to always play max 5 mins per round is a very, very shitty design decision and philosophy regardless of the bias against RP'ers which existed back then.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Where did your post in this thread, where you called RP'ers in MBII cancerous go? As I read through your walls of text the other day, I'm sure I saw atleast one such instance. I also did not see all the added concessions about you working on JKG and suddenly being pro-RP.

But regardless of all of our bullshit mace, return to the topic at hand. How do you explain a game like CSGO having adjustable round limits and bomb timers and many other server side commands, not just surviving but THRIVING like hell right now? Your argument about locking time limits is just invalid and doesn't apply. Having the option to customize is good. Being forced to always play max 5 mins per round is a very, very shitty design decision and philosophy regardless of the bias against RP'ers which existed back then.

The JKA community in general is cancerous, and the RP community is as well. Just because I hate the MB2/JKA RP community, that doesn't mean I hate RP and is false-equivalence.

CSGO isn't thriving because of anything they did in regards to that. It is thriving because of the competitive aspect. CS has had those controls for a long time and it only got as popular as it is now because of the increase in focus of the competitive modes which restrict people. Those are the parts of CS that have grown thousands of percentage points. Now, CS has always had a large community so hundreds of people going to fuck off and do their own thing doesn't matter at all in CS where a community as small as ours is thousands of times more vulnerable to have issues related to that. Again, CS is not THRIVING because of freedom of server commands, that isn't at all what happened and there are plenty of articles about the success of CSGO and I have never seen any of that mentioned. Trying to shoe-horn that into the argument isn't going to get you anywhere. If restricting design was a terrible design philosophy, why do games keep doing it?

I didn't bring up JKG as I didn't think another mod and its design goals was relevant to MB2s design goals at all until once again, people started saying I hated RP which is completely false.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The JKA community in general is cancerous, and the RP community is as well. Just because I hate the MB2/JKA RP community, that doesn't mean I hate RP and is false-equivalence.

CSGO isn't thriving because of anything they did in regards to that. It is thriving because of the competitive aspect. CS has had those controls for a long time and it only got as popular as it is now because of the increase in focus of the competitive modes which restrict people. Those are the parts of CS that have grown thousands of percentage points. Now, CS has always had a large community so hundreds of people going to F**k off and do their own thing doesn't matter at all in CS where a community as small as ours is thousands of times more vulnerable to have issues related to that. Again, CS is not THRIVING because of freedom of server commands, that isn't at all what happened and there are plenty of articles about the success of CSGO and I have never seen any of that mentioned. Trying to shoe-horn that into the argument isn't going to get you anywhere. If restricting design was a terrible design philosophy, why do games keep doing it?

I didn't bring up JKG as I didn't think another mod and its design goals was relevant to MB2s design goals at all until once again, people started saying I hated RP which is completely false.

Let's put aside whether or not you hate RP, I don't really care if you do or don't. Regardless of motivations, I think hard-coding the timer was one of the stupidest decisions the dev team ever made.

Quoting another post of mine in related thread:
I am asking you, why can't we have both things? The game didn't die in b17,b18 or b19 did it? Yet those were the builds I played with no time limit and freedom to roleplay. There were lots of people online, it didn't fracture the community. Servers were still 5 minutes and did not deviate from the competitive-style format of old. There was just this extra, juicy bit on the side with custom FA classes, taking advantage of force powers like destruction and blind and custom maps for fun and epic gameplay with no time limits and just having fun.

Can you honestly answer me why this change was made if 100 percent of the open mode servers ran the same settings pre hardcoded timelimit as they did post-hardcoded time limit? The only affected party was the roleplayers who took advantage of custom classfiles to fuck around and have fun on the weekends but also played plenty of normal MBII and duels. What reason is there to hard-code a timer if all servers already play at 5 minutes? Only reason seems to be RP-hate, since the servers were following the format pre-hardcoded timer. This is why I am having a hard time believing in and getting behind any argument against the timer being unlocked.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired

Yes I was, and I knew all the devs and they explicitly told us this.

Do you remember when it happened Mace? At least the build version? I remember, I remember everything. I even remember the specific RP server it targetted.

Reactions: SeV

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team

Do you remember when it happened Mace? At least the build version? I remember, I remember everything. I even remember the specific RP server it targetted.

DOP, right?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team

The conversation when I was a part of the team happened Post-RC1 when I accidentally left out Timed 300 in the siege file of Ravager and people took notice a few months after release, started creating RP servers again after they had been gone for a while. This was when the timelimit hardcoding was fixed to be more permanent than it was prior. Which you hadn't joined the team yet. Acidus/Ace went around mainly saying it was because of RP because they had an extreme bias against RP and were pretty damn vocal. I don't personally blame them because of the crap around at the time once I looked into it.

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Eh well i would say mb2 needs all the players it can get to stay alive, so making the time limit customizable and allowing rpers to mess around isnt probably a bad thing. Customizable time limit would also help duel mode but then the amount of lives should also be customizable and mid round joining a thing, so i guess there are problems with implementing it.

Anyway no need to make a shitstorm like this about a simple topic.

I'm late to the party but I couldn't agree more with the original post. Open mode is an awful mode that makes the game hard to balance. It works ok on dotf and a few other maps. These days if you want to quickly join a game you have 2 options: 32 slot server on dotf or a small duel server. Sometimes you're lucky and you get to play on Tantive 4 or Jabba, but these are good maps that aren't really fun in open.

32 player open mode is an awful format. it rewards stupid stuff like 5 people spamming nades and it becomes harder not to damage your team. 16 or 20 player is already much more fun. And if we get things like 6v6 gunner deathmatch or 3v3 saberist deathmatch then holy shit I'd be so happy :D

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Not sure what playerlimit and DOTF spam has to do with timelimit, but I am also for lowering the max player count because it simply turns into a cluster fuck after 22 ish players on most levels and most levels weren't designed to support the full 32.

However, the last bit of the above post is EXACTLY what the team has wanted to avoid for a number of years, because deathmatch is not MB2.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I'm late to the party but I couldn't agree more with the original post. Open mode is an awful mode that makes the game hard to balance. It works ok on dotf and a few other maps. These days if you want to quickly join a game you have 2 options: 32 slot server on dotf or a small duel server. Sometimes you're lucky and you get to play on Tantive 4 or Jabba, but these are good maps that aren't really fun in open.

32 player open mode is an awful format. it rewards stupid stuff like 5 people spamming nades and it becomes harder not to damage your team. 16 or 20 player is already much more fun. And if we get things like 6v6 gunner deathmatch or 3v3 saberist deathmatch then holy shit I'd be so happy :D
I'd love to see a competitive server that thrives. I think the best way to do that would be to have public player stats that are stored on our servers and tracked by the launcher and host a couple of public servers with a 20 player limit + class limits. A competitive scoring ladder would definitely encourage people to play on these servers as opposed to DOTF24/7. If there are any devs that would be excited to work on something like that, I'd be overjoyed and definitely do my best to help wherever I can.

Not sure what playerlimit and DOTF spam has to do with timelimit, but I am also for lowering the max player count because it simply turns into a cluster F**k after 22 ish players on most levels and most levels weren't designed to support the full 32.

I thought the points raised in this thread were about how to bring the fun back into the game. I agree with how 2017 MB2 has been described so far. I'm just sharing my view that it has a lot to do with the main format, which is 10v10 or more in open mode, often on dotf. In that sense I agree that more flexibility would bring 'new' gamemodes that fit different styles.

However, the last bit of the above post is EXACTLY what the team has wanted to avoid for a number of years, because deathmatch is not MB2.

MB2 is what people make it. it;s mostly teamwork and fun with star wars lore. People mentionned competitive play but there's NOTHING competitive about any of the current game modes. I don't see how fast-paced 6v6 deathmatch with pre-established classes that fit the lore would be incompatible with the spirit of mb2 lol.

I'd love to see a competitive server that thrives. I think the best way to do that would be to have public player stats that are stored on our servers and tracked by the launcher and host a couple of public servers with a 20 player limit + class limits. A competitive scoring ladder would definitely encourage people to play on these servers as opposed to DOTF24/7. If there are any devs that would be excited to work on something like that, I'd be overjoyed and definitely do my best to help wherever I can.

BG tried the class limit thing and people disliked it. I will tell you a few reasons why I think they did.
- people didn't really take it as a competitive server. It looked like just another 32 slot dotf server with a lot of rookies because frankly, not enough people are competitive players
- it was on dotf 24/7
- people don't like being forced into a certain class if, after all, the competitive aspect is absent (see my first point)

In a nutshell I think the Semi Authentic format with only a limit on dekas and wooks would have worked better. But yes ranking would be awesome to encourage people to play competitively.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I don't see how fast-paced 6v6 deathmatch with pre-established classes that fit the lore would be incompatible with the spirit of mb2 lol.

It doesn't have an objective. There are plenty of cool game modes already suggested by the community, and development team, that follows that idea without devolving into boring deathmatch.

It doesn't have an objective. There are plenty of cool game modes already suggested by the community, and development team, that follows that idea without devolving into boring deathmatch.

And yet people still play the Quake games. :thinking:
Sometimes you have to look at the solutions that are staring you in the face. Team deathmatch at high level needs as much teamwork as any other game mode. 1 life or infinite respawns, doesn't matter a long as the class feature and the maps fit the gamemode. it all depends on design, but I doubt it would be boring.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
And yet people still play the Quake games. :thinking:

People play other games for various reasons, people play DOTA 2, LOL, HOTS, more than they do ANY deathmatch game mode in existence now. Should we turn mb2 into a moba?

I think turning mb2 into a moba or a battle arena HOTK style would be far more beneficial than deathmatch if you want to look at "solutions staring you right in the face" /s

There is a reason right now deathmatch and other type game modes have lost their charm over the years. Objective based games are the up and coming "fad" right now in video games the way moba was a few years ago. They're only going to grow from here. You're going to see more than just Overwatch, CSGO, get popular over the next few years.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
No. Mobas are cancer for pubs. We don't have the E-sports community to get teams of people spending their lives on this game. If you turn MB2 into a moba, it will die instantly.

Skill needs to play the biggest factor in this game, not what Peruvian shitter you get on your team who can't speak English. The biggest problem with MOBAs are the communities, and all of the pub games you have to slog through.

They're good for 2 things: casuals, and E-sports. NOT your average MB2 roleplayer.

Wow, I kinda just feel like going to the beach, finding shards of broken glass from the nightly BDSM orgy party my friends and I have, and shoving them in my teeth while I drink loads of vinegar.

^ That's what MOBAs feel like for anybody who plays skill based shooters. It would be a massive mistake to make MB2 into any sort of MOBA. Turning MB2 into a MOBA would take an already niche mod for a dead game, and turn it into the kind of shit that people find on the deep web to make videos about.

Status
Not open for further replies.