Real talk, the future of MBII and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not every game is perfect. In some ways I agree that there should be some minor changes and added some new unique cool stuff, but in other ways it's just about being dick and asking for new stuff that is hard to make. Developers are not gods. That means they should make new mod and etc.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This thread= 'Devs are dumb! They don't update anything! They are assholes! Mb2 needs to be changed!'. Basically nothing new.

Happens in just about every gaming community. Internet anonymity is the best right?!

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'm pretty sure I didn't say in my post that you make stupid decisions. Stop putting your words in my mouth.

They can't even recognize a stupidity behind time limit restrictions to duel mode

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You said the team itself makes stupid decisions regarding time limit restrictions in duel mode. I never said you specifically said that about me but you did a broad generalized statement towards all developers which includes me. And I love how you didn't try to refute anything else.

I am not here denying my insult, it was made in retaliation/defense as Rosh said.

chicknman

Banned
I didn't put any words in your mouth. You said the team itself makes stupid decisions regarding time limit restrictions in duel mode. I never said you specifically said that about me but you did a broad generalized statement towards all developers which includes me. And I love how you didn't try to refute anything else.

I am not here denying my insult, it was made in retaliation/defense as Rosh said.

Naw you're retired bro, we didn't ask you to come back

Reactions: Nex

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Naw you're retired bro, we didn't ask you to come back

I'm not back. And that decision was made while I was still a part of the team. I am not speaking as a current team member as Spaghetti already did that. I can still browse the forums and reply to things just as you can. My input and influence doesn't just vanish because I am retired.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It is my fucking opinion? Why you being a douche about an opinion.
Because this is my opinion on your opinion (no xzibit intended).

On a serious note, it's just a little shocking, those things you said.
I used to treat duel mode as something big, something that is approved by everybody, something... something... that is undeniable good... and now talking it's not as important as I used to think?...
What does my liking it have to do with FA when I never mentioned it?
Yes, you didn't mentioned it. I did, just to show you that I really can't understand how can you deny so easy such big part of MBII :confused:
The mode did nothing to increase the playerbase of mb2.
Really? REALLY?!
I see crystal clear way how duel mode does increase Movie Battles playerbase:
It seems that dueling with lightsabers became a very important part of MBII, but modes those existed before duel mode was introduced didn't support it very well.
Therefore, dueling fans get frustrated after some time; yes, they can participate in glowstick action, but guys with a blasters keep ruin all the fun.
Therefore, after some another time they get disappointed in Movie Battles, and they say, "screw this mod. I'm tired of not getting what I want.", and then they leave MBII.
Duel mode effectively prevents frustration, keeping dueling addicts in game.

... and this how duel mode does increase Movie Battles playerbase.
it doesn't have anything to do with teamplay
Why it should have anything to do with teamplay?
Why you are so obsessed with a teamplay?
Isn't a bit bigger number players online, and a bit happier players enough?
If you want to compare FA vs duel for the past few months you would be right. If you compare the full life time, you are far off base.
ok, I don't insist I compare the full time.
Yes, lets totally bring the classic basejka "Lamer" logic into it. Totally not flawed at all. The lamer whining from base was completely cancerous but whatever.
I'm not exactly sure what do you mean, and what 'the classic basejka "Lamer" logic' is, but I'll will answer in the way of my guesses of it's supposed to mean...

People always try to adopt an environment in the way to fit their needs. It's just law of nature.
For example, if you don't provide enough public restrooms, don't come cry that people shitting on the streets.
If you designed a mobile phone that is locked in every possible way, no wonder users are gonna do jailbreaking with their devices.
Don't pretend you don't understand consequences of your actions.

Providing a special mode that satisfy cravings of relatively large part of community is the most civilized solution.
I believe removing timelimit, just like removing saberists, just like removing reinforcements, is damaging to the integrity of MB2 and you cannot do it.
That's incredible flawed logic o_O
You absolutely, positively cannot compare removing saberists and "removing" timelimit, because removing timelimit isn't removing at all -- it's providing more freedom, which makes server settings more flexible.
No no no, freezing duration of round at some constant value IS the thing that is related to removing saberists, because both these things limit player's range of choices.
Servers with stupid random mods, zero consistency, is why I stopped playing games like COD2 where every god damn server was modded and impossible to follow.
As I said before, official servers, configured exactly as dev team want them to be, is here, and they aren't going anywhere.
So what's the problem?
More and more games have locked certain customization options out of their dedicated servers for a reason.
No, they have it because of these days bullshit trend to lock anything, and this cancer affects whole software industry, not just games.
Chrome and Firefox are perfect examples of what I'm talking about.
You don't know that
We could try, that won't hurt.
if it does it could only be temporary
Even temporary is good enough.
After all, everything in life is temporary. Even the life itself.
You're making assumptions.
Not more than you do.
JKA's RPers are literally cancer though for some reason
Do you have any proofs, any evidences of that?
All you saying is "RPs are bad, bad bad bad, believe me, they will eat your food, steal your bike and rape your blow-up doll".
It feels you have some personal against RPes... maybe even backstory?...

@chicknman,
@Nex
And others, can you please stop insulting and shitposting?
This is a serious thread, after all.

Where the F**k is LoU?
He's retired.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
@chicknman,
@Nex
And others, can you please stop insulting and shitposting?
This is a serious thread, after all.

Me and chickman? You for real now?

ur mums a leading retard lo lrekt

Again, this is kind person that mb2 devs choose for a server admin.

No it isn't an opinion which is why you need to learn the definition. What you did was insult people because you provided no counter points, no analytical arguments and went straight to "devs are wrong, I'm right".
If you want someone on your side, you want someone to agree with you. You don't start by insulting them.

Dude are you sure you are completely okay? Wasn't it you who first started insulting me along with your 'mate'? I didn't provide any counter points cuz I was only expressing my opinion, nothing else. If you don't like it, move on like every sane and normal person would do. Instead you decided to throw insults at me and now trying to convince public it was me who did it first. Seriously, dude, there is something really disturbing going on with you.

Last edited:

chicknman

Banned
Coming back on topic: I really enjoyed lugormod back in the day. The hunt for stashes on maps like trip and player housing/clan bases was a pretty cool concept and I don't see why mb2 couldn't have something similar for the role playing inclined. Although , if this detracted devs from providing balance and additional features to the game (open mode) that initially made me addicted to mb2, I would say that it's not worth the time. I think the biggest issue is the manpower, because I know plenty of people who would love a role play/open world mode.

Removing time limit from duel should be an option, but as an option it should be, well, optional.

Don't know why anybody'd want to remove time limit from open, though.

chicknman

Banned
Removing time limit from duel should be an option, but as an option it should be, well, optional.

Don't know why anybody'd want to remove time limit from open, though.

I agree that a FFA no time limit open mode would be pointless, but I think a new mode that introduced RP aspects would be extremely popular. I can already name a few clans that would love it - GRM (GAR?!?!), OR, CB. I only know NA ppl but I'm sure there are ex EU lugormod or JA+ roleplayers out there.

Viserys

ex team lead
Movie Battles II Team Retired
After reading few posts it's clear that problem is within dev's decision making. They can't even recognize a stupidity behind time limit restrictions to duel mode and try to enforce their silly views on argument opponents with pointless walls of text. It doesn't make you look any more credible, believe me. It all comes down to willingness. The only way MBII can move forward is to replace devs responsible for direction game is suppose to go. They are too stubborn and conservative when it comes to implementing some variety to such old mod. No wonder LoU left. It is more of a dictatorship than actually listening to feedback of players.

This is a very ignorant post taking one person's opinion (Mace is retired, btw) and turning that into the opinion of the entire team and using that to attack them. Sad. Especially considering that the dev team doesn't have one single opinion.

In any case Mace is entitled to think what he wants and insulting him isn't getting you anywhere.

And I do wish people understood that removing a time limit isn't a matter of removing a line of code. It requires many changes as MB2 was built around it (spawns, counters, tempbans, class configs, model changes, to name a few). And that is also true for the duel mode. My personal opinion is that sure, duel mode doesn't need a timelimit, would I waste the very limited coding resources to remove the duel timelimit in the expense of something else? No.

I am all for these posts for feedback but I'm sorry to say the fact is we currently have no resources to carry out any major changes, even the ones we want to and are halfway done already. That's why I made the recruitment posts a while back, but nothing has changed since then. We are not out of ideas, even if it seems that way.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Splintering playerbases are real as can be seen from numerous official games throughout the times. I would argue the fact that MB2 has remained so concentrated is what has kept it alive for this long.

Introducing unfocused gameplay such as time limitless FFA/TFFA would ultimately make people who prefer this mode to migrate to playing solely that mode. This is undesired for a small playerbase. MB2 has more people going out than coming in, this will not change. Giving the existing playerbase the possibility of splitting into further splinters will decrease overall activity.

The ideal solution would be introducing new game modes within the existing parameters. Turn duels into a tournament mode where winners advance and eventually a winner is crowned. Introduce time limited interesting objectives and gameplay such as CTF, payload, capture point while keeping it within the de facto standard Open mode.

Introducing further aimless gameplay (no time limits, no map rotation) will simply hurt the game's focus. I would argue that DOTF24/7 servers as they are already hurt the game's focus. Since they diminish the significance of winning a round for the team. As such I would even be in favour of forcing servers to cycle through maps automatically with players only being able to affect the upcoming map through public votes.

It pains me that the playerbase has already seemed to splinter into people who prefer the rat race of DOTF24/7 and those who do RTV. Hopping into MB2 these days only to find out that everyone's just spinning that hamsterwheel of a map day in and day out like mindless drones even after 12 years scares me. It confuses me. It is not the best map. Due to the layout of long corridors with no cover it invalidates several classes or makes them uninteresting to play. This also makes it very defender-biased. No, just because your DOTF 24/7 server has a near-even winrate split, it is not an even map. Nobody plays to win so the layout has very little to do with the winrates.

This is why I would love to see developers introduce further control over the way the game is to be played as opposed to laxing it. This is what every accomplished game developer does. Overwatch as an example started with Quickplay and Ranked and only after gaining a whopping playerbase of 20 million did they think to include an arcade mode, which still focuses on clear gameplay rules and map rotations.

TL;DR: Restricting the gameplay experience further would help more than laxing it by removing timelimits.

Clearly an equivalency.

It's the same old dead horse. Leave it alone. It's even the exact same pattern as before.
Well, hey, the future isn't bleak as long as we have the trolls among us:)

Hur hur.

What are you fighting about again? Seems like its less about what direction to go and why your opinion matters less than others.

Can we just make a new topic area to post debates, instead of asserting ones own ideas over another? ;) Spread ideas not Criticism, even tho criticism is an idea its how you present it don't be too how too put this, over crit-a-sistic?

On a flip note: I do like the idea of allowing servers being more customize-able in certain settings Via time limit despite all general game plays for most games there is a time limit but those always those who would like to just remove it adding the option gives more ideas for more to play with what they'd like and opening up more game-modes would be fun to i do find it odd that there are such restrictions on other game-modes, consider the fact they were once in the game seems weird to remove them or not place them back cuz like i see MBII divided in 3ish ways, 1) your Competitive people (which imo should never be the only reason the new BF's are competitive is cause there main stream. 2) Or Role play people (much smaller amount but still there, dont step on the little guys) 3) Your open/Misc players (mainly everyone really but some of them stick just to open not the others) 4) the people that play a lil bit of everything 5) The people who stick to Dueling strictly SO in theory of adding more game play types would be quite Positive with more player types to join and more things to play rather then the 3 current modes of OPEN, FA and DUEL despite FA being a unique addon to the mod, It's still holding back from a bigger picture of what it could be imo ofc

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
And I do wish people understood that removing a time limit isn't a matter of removing a line of code. It requires many changes as MB2 was built around it (spawns, counters, tempbans, class configs, model changes, to name a few). And that is also true for the duel mode. My personal opinion is that sure, duel mode doesn't need a timelimit, would I waste the very limited coding resources to remove the duel timelimit in the expense of something else? No.

I am all for these posts for feedback but I'm sorry to say the fact is we currently have no resources to carry out any major changes, even the ones we want to and are halfway done already. That's why I made the recruitment posts a while back, but nothing has changed since then. We are not out of ideas, even if it seems that way.

Last time I've heard that the very "important" and "crucial' change is to give SBD running ability? Is that still in plans? If so, is that really what you should be focusing on right now?

What are you fighting about again? Seems like its less about what direction to go and why your opinion matters less than others.

If by "others" you mean 2 childish trolls and mb2 staff member than ye. From likes my first post recived it looks like some ppl indeed do share my opinion on how mb2 should change. Plus I know for fact that things weren't good behind the scenes. LoU is my good friend and shared with me his true reasoning on why he left the mb2 team some time ago so I wasn't just throwing empty words without learning things first.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
TL;DR: Restricting the gameplay experience further would help more than laxing it by removing timelimits.
This is extremely sad to read.
I don't believe in restricting gameplay, especially in *further* restricting.
That will only leads to disappointment, which, in turn, will make people leave MBII.
You can't force anybody to like what you like.
Today's trands for locking and restricting is cancer :(.

You can't satisfy everyone. So why not...just...satisfy me?

:)

The rating will need to be changed. Breast sizes augmented. Booties, well, come in all shapes and figures.
We'll have the sleek, the busty, the svelte!

All hail to Chaos, the 4th Coming! Sounds even dirtier than what I was thinking, huhu.

If you want to appeal to a greater range of people, why not...Sex Appeal!

In other words, Not all Ideas are Equal. Mine are better than yours.

Viserys

ex team lead
Last time I've heard that the very "important" and "crucial' change is to give SBD running ability? Is that still in plans? If so, is that really what you should be focusing on right now?

I won't argue with you. I listed 5 things in that post, you picked one of them and use it to claim it is not 'important' or 'crucial' enough. Yes an SBD revamp is in the plans, as are many other things, none of which is happening given our current resource availability.

I don't like your attitude towards the development team. Bitching and complaining is the simplest thing to do, especially when you have zero understanding of the complexity of a fully voluntary development effort inherited from one person to the next over the course of over 10 years.

Until your posts move away from grabbing single statements to make invalid generalisations and demonising the dev team you honestly have nothing to contribute in terms of feedback.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
I won't argue with you. I listed 5 things in that post, you picked one of them and use it to claim it is not 'important' or 'crucial' enough. Yes an SBD revamp is in the plans, as are many other things, none of which is happening given our current resource availability.

I don't like your attitude towards the development team. Bitching and complaining is the simplest thing to do, especially when you have zero understanding of the complexity of a fully voluntary development effort inherited from one person to the next over the course of over 10 years.

Until your posts move away from grabbing single statements to make invalid generalisations and demonising the dev team you honestly have nothing to contribute in terms of feedback.

I was about to share my ideas before but changed my mind when two aggresive monkeys jumped on me after my original post and bullied me with constant insults for more than hour, so there is no point as it would probably end the same way. Simply expressing my own opinion caused such emotions so there must be something to it. Maybe truth?
I could go on as to say, why won't you remove tk system or at least make it optional? Why won't you make more weapons accurate while running so shooting actually is going to requre some skills not just spray and pray? These aren't even changes that would require huge resources and yet would impact on gameplay positively. There's plenty of ideas on the horizon that could be discussed but in less than 10 mins there will probably some troll from mb2 staff show up, like Mace or Rosh to call me names so again, I see no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.