Thoughts on Red style

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Recently I decided to get back into the dueling scene, but it seems that Red is pretty weak when compared against other styles; the main reason being the lack of a guaranteed stagger.

May I ask why the stagger was changed? It is an imperative tool for the red stance and goes hand-in-hand with the idea behind red: utilising kinetic power and brute strength to overpower the enemy.

Dueled against several competent duelists (Kael, Seth, Aron) and while our ratios were fairly even (50/50), Red just seemed to require a lot of thought and skill from the player's behalf for very little profit (compared to other styles).

I feel that the third swing in a red combo should always stagger, regardless of PB/bodyhit. Thoughts?

Also on a separate note: is the beta team looking for any saber/duel testers? A lot of duelists are feeling a bit left out in the cold (from those that I have spoken to).

Just a stupid idea from a retard: Wouldn't it be a nice change for red to stagger on every third HIT, not in a combo, not a missed swing but an actual bodyhit?
For example you hit someone two times, back off, you can no longer follow up with the last hit after that 2-hit combo because you took too long, still, few seconds later engage again and the first hit staggers the enemy anyway.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I feel that the saber vs saber testing in the beta is completely insufficient, but there isn't anything I can do about it. I honestly think there should be an open beta for saber vs saber testing. Even if it's only the saber vs saber changes, I feel that they should atleast be put to the test properly...

But yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Red is a bit weak in 1.4.3, mainly due to the stagger change and the parry changes which don't favor it. Takes alot of skill to play but doesn't give much in return. This is exactly my experience with red recently. I recently did a long video with red and I felt the same as you do. (I've also recently returned.)

I started trying to use red the other day so I can't really speak from experience but I do agree that it feels weaker, it would be nice if blue red and yellow had to be played differently (more than they are atm), so with red you have to go in aggressive but have a lower defence or bp drain so it is more about controlling the duel through brute force.

Yellow stays the same as it is as a balanced medium style that is the easiest to learn.

Blue would be a more defence oriented style while utilizing small counter hits

As it is atm all are played pretty similar

My thoughts on the red in the 1.4.3 as a life-time main red user is that it became a lot weaker than it was in 1.4.0 I dont know if you guys remember the pre 1.4 one but probably the red was the strongest around that time before all the nerfs that followed. These days in the new 1.4.3 i dont really play a lot of times red, mainly sticking with basic yellow or blue, but sometimes using red for it just for the sake of it.

I dont know if you guys remember the pre 1.4 one but probably the red was the strongest around that time before all the nerfs that followed.
Red being the strongest style in 1.3 is a good meme. People were too lazy to learn to pblock (even tho there was a guide showing how easy it is to pblock it) and they forget cyan and blue.

But yeah red in 1.4.3 is meh. I thought it's going to be better than in 1.4.2 and then i switched to purple. Ez nudge and ez acm from pblock. No point in using red.

It seems as if in this version based on those who I have duelled that red is completely redundant to the defensive counter and offensive attacks of blue, this has led most of the duelling community into a split between blue and yellow as these are perhaps the best styles in this version and yellow being most balanced throughout every version of MBII.

Due to red's newfound weakness, I see hardly anyone maining it anymore even those who have used it for years.

Reactions: SeV

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Just a stupid idea from a retard: Wouldn't it be a nice change for red to stagger on every third HIT, not in a combo, not a missed swing but an actual bodyhit?
For example you hit someone two times, back off, you can no longer follow up with the last hit after that 2-hit combo because you took too long, still, few seconds later engage again and the first hit staggers the enemy anyway.
This was more along the lines of how it was supposed to be changed.

I feel that the saber vs saber testing in the beta is completely insufficient, but there isn't anything I can do about it. I honestly think there should be an open beta for saber vs saber testing. Even if it's only the saber vs saber changes, I feel that they should atleast be put to the test properly...
Yes please.

In any case, it'll be working properly again so don't worry for too much longer.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I would like more beta testers to help me beta test honestly, I can never find anyone to help me saber-test stuff in US.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Nice joke. Maybe if the leaders wouldn't decline the applications of beta testers there would be more...
Given we just added a handful of new testers within the past week or two I'm not really sure what you mean.

Given we just added a handful of new testers within the past week or two I'm not really sure what you mean.

Remember when the old forum went down.. when this forum was made, guy called Supa I believe took over the beta tester leadership position. So I was in the beta testing team before the old forum went down, had no problems, no complaints towards me, no anything, then that happened, Supa took over, developers told us beta testers to re-apply on this new forum ( yes, even the "current" beta testers at that needed to re-apply ) so I did, then I got denied for unknown reasons stating re apply in like 6 months? I was like Oh my bad, I thought I'm doing you a favor by willing to help and participate testing future patches, but seems like it was the other way around. And I wasn't the only one who were denied. It was probably based on favor/liking who got accepted to do "favors". If the developers to this day are handling beta testers like this I do not doubt it why there is only a few beta testers to be honest. I enjoyed being one and helping the community and the developers. What I get? "Re-apply in 3-6 months". And I was told that as an actual "current" beta tester before the forum went down. Giving me crap like I was the one who took down the forum lmao.